Wednesday 27 August 2014

First Sewing lesson: Task Analysis


First Lesson: Task Analysis

On our first sewing lesson, we talked and learnt about the different materials. We were asked to research on synthetic and natural fibres to prepare for a debate that occurred on the next lesson. On the first lesson, we also did a an individual task analysis. The image below shows my marked task analysis. 


From the task analysis, I missed out a category 'Style of bag'. The bag could be a sling bag, a hand bag or a bag pack. Those three are of practical shapes/styles that I would be able to create. I ended up sewing a bag pack. The task analysis helps brain storm and organise my ideas. From there, I can pick those that I want from each category. This would give me a much clearer idea of what my bag would look like.

During the first lesson, we also learnt to set up and operate our sewing machine. We needed to insert the bobbin case and made sure the thread formed a 'N' in the machine before we could sow. After making sure those were done, we practiced sewing on a orange piece of fabric. The picture on the side is the maze that I sew.. The stitches are really messy as it was my first time using the machine and it was hard for me to control my sewing. After learning to sow, we learnt to reinforce the threads and sew in the other direction. I learnt many new things on that lesson and I impressed my mum when I went home and showed her I could sow using the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment