Wednesday 17 September 2014

Second Sewing Lesson: Ideation and Prototyping


        Second Sewing Lesson: Ideation

On the second lesson, we started sketching possible ideas. I considered the practicality, size, shape, design and material of the bag before sketching out my ideas. Below are my sketched out ideas:

I decided on this idea in the end.


The first design would have been made from an old pair of denim shorts with some lacy designs. I would also add a hot pink ribbon as it would have stood out from the denim shorts. I also wanted side pockets to keep bottles. However, I did not choose that as I thought it would have been quite hard to sow on jeans material.

The second design would have been a bag shaped like a pinafore. I would have used my Primary 1 uniform to make it. I decided not to use that idea as it would have taken a lot of time to sow it.

The third design would have been a square shaped bag. It would have been made to look like the Instagram app. I did not choose that design as I figured it would be hard to create something similar to the camera lens on the instagram app.

The fourth design would have been made out of a skirt. However, I did not own any skirts that would be of suitable material and design for a bag.

I finally decided on the fifth design. I chose to use some spare designed fabrics we had at home. The material of the fabrics were firm but still quite easy to sow onto. Also, I added a backing to the fabric to make it harder and firmer. The design of the material is interesting and cool for a bag, thus I decided to use it. i also liked the shape of the bag as I prefer bag packs compared to sling bags. I decided to use a shiny buckle to close the bag, however I changed my mind throughout the process of creating the bag. 


 Here is the prototype made out of newspaper. The dimensions are below:
Width: 25cm
Length: 30cm
Side width: 18cm
Side length: 30cm
Base width: 15cm
Base length: 25cm
Flap: 10cm by 25cm

I felt that the sides of the bag were too big. This made the bag look fat and bulky. The flap was also too short and it could not close and cover the bag properly. I needed to make the flap longer and the width of the side and the base of the bag to make it less bulky.






No comments:

Post a Comment