Tuesday 23 September 2014

Lesson 4: Production

We finally started making the bag!

First, I measured and cut out the pieces needed for my bag. I cut out one long strip of the black fabric measuring 105cm by 10cm for the sides and the base of my bag measuring 107cm by 12cm. I cut out 2 extra cm on each side as extra as allowance for stitches. Next, I cute out the front and bag of my bag using the white fabric. For the front, I cut out a piece of fabric measuring 42cm by 27cm. I also cut out two extra cm on each side of the front fabric of the bag to allow space for mistakes and allowance for the stitches. I then cut out the back of the bag. I cut out the back of the bag and the flap together. I cut out a piece of fabric measuring 62cm by 52cm. From there, I cut the area which was meant for the flap to make it form a curve shape. I also gave a few extra cm for allowance for the stitches. After cutting out all the pieces I need for the bag except the strap, I ironed on a backing to make the material of the bag stiffer and firmer. I then began pinning up the pieces together.


First,  I pinned on the front and back of the bag to the sides of the bag about 1cm away from the edge of the fabrics on the side of the bag that was not decorated. Then I pinned the edges of the flap inwards. After pinning on the pins, I started machining. I used white threads to match with the patterned white fabric and black threads to match the black patterned fabrics. After sowing on the sides, base, front and back of the bag, I was almost done!






I just had to sow on the straps. I decided to use black fabrics as the straps to contrast the white fabric used for the back of the bag. I cut out 2 long strip of black fabric measuring 10cm by 40cm. I then folded  both the pieces of fabric into half and used the sowing machine to sow up the edges. This resulted in two fabrics to be used as the strap measuring 5cm by 40cm each. After making the straps, I sowed on both the straps onto my bag. My bag is then finally done! 







The next part was to sow on the decorative materials. I did not plan on adding many decorative materials. However, my bag looked quite plain so I had to add on decorative materials. Here is an image of my bag without the decorative materials.



I added a ribbon on the flap of the bag and I added colourful buttons around the front of my bag to brighten up my bag. I also added on velcro to the part where the original plan was to add a buckle. I added velro instead as the buckle I had was too heavy and would have pulled down the whole flap. Below are some pictures of the final product:









No comments:

Post a Comment